Monday, September 20, 2010

Frenchie teaching at an Aussie Uni!


After three weeks of looking for a job, I finally found one - teaching ESL (English at a Second Language) at Flinder's University in Adelaide. More specifically, I work at the language center on campus. Seriously - a French Canadian teaching engineers, doctors, teachers, government officials, nurses, teenagers and the like in the Land Down Under? It's more than I could ever wish for.

Our students are from all over the world - Japan, Colombia, Korea, East Timor, China, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Guatemala, Indonesia, and so on. While most of them are studying at the center to get the required English level to enter University (B.A., Master's or PHD), many are just traveling and have enrolled there to improve their English skills.

I must say, this is a great challenge and I am truly excited. I've also never taught Muslim students wearing the burqa. This calls for classroom diversity indeed, I can't wait for all the interesting debates in class!